Vanilla Ice: Part II: Recipe

You know what smells awesome? Vanilla beans. Fruity and flowery. Lovely. If there was only a way to combine it with alcohol and create something amazing-er...

Ingredients: Vodka, nothin' fancy, the beans do the work.
                  Vanilla Beans, lots of varieties, I chose Bourbon Vanilla Beans from Beanilla
 Bourbon Vanilla has a traditional flavor and is the most popular type of vanilla. Bourbon vanilla comes from the fruit of an orchid variety called Vanilla Planifolia and is rich in the natural organic compound called vanillin. Bourbon beans have a creamy, sweet, smooth and mellow flavor. Use Bourbon vanilla for applications that require a traditional vanilla flavor.
The basic recipe is 1 bean for every four ounces of vodka. Split the beans by drawing a knife lengthwise down the bean. Place in container and add vodka to cover.
My kitchen smelled really delicious.
Not even 20 minutes and the vodka started coloring. 

Since the two bottles of vodka weren't quite enough, I had added 3 large bottles to the mix, I had to run out for more. I knew I had a bunch of extra beans so I bought myself a bottle of vodka. After dumping a little out, I shoved a bunch of beans in so I had my own vanilla.
I made Paula Deen's Pumpkin Pie for Thanksgiving and used my vanilla. I could totally taste it! It was more floral that regular vanilla and slightly more complex.

Here's a bottle after a couple of weeks:
One of the best parts of making your own vanilla is that you never run out. After you've used a little, just add more vodka. The beans will continue to do their thing and you always have vanilla extract on hand. With no additives, for a quarter of the price.

No comments