Maison Trompe

Doesn't this window scream for shutters?! We have big plans for shutters, but until that time, I thought I'd give them a little oomph. So I added a little trompe l'oeil border.
Can you even tell? I think it looks much better. Has more weight.
I just taped a border using a piece of the same tape as a template. First I taped around the trim, keeping the tape right up against the original trim. (I made you an example and photographed it in terrible lighting)!
Once that was pressed into place, I taped around the tape.
When that was pressed into place,  I removed the first piece of tape and I was left with a 2" border.
 Does that make any sense? It's a lot easier than using a level and measuring tape and pencils...If you've learned anything from me, it's that I'm lazy.

Before I painted the aqua, I first did a coat of the house color to seal the edges of the tape. Because the stucco is so bumpy, it's hard to get a perfect line.When the brown layer dried, I painted the aqua over that. You can kind of see in the pic below...
See? Nice clean line! Only a few spots I had to fix! And you can also see how I'm faking the trim. It looks a little better from a distance. Who looks at houses up close anyway?!
Ahhhh,...much better...Now I just need to remove that horrible tree!
But I think John started hiding the saws from me...









3 comments

Be Colorful Coastal said...

Oh yay. I am the first to comment. I think this is a stellar idea. I love what you do and I love that you chose this fun unorthodox color for your exterior trim. It just made me smile. I agree, only the postman sees it up close. :D Looks amazing and so are you. Have a great week and thanks for sharing on BeColorful.
p

Terri said...

You are so clever and creative. I'm shamed.

*Shabby LOCO!* said...

Brilliant!
Great Idea! ;)